Chicken biryani recipe – Can you name that one dish for which everyone can just toss their diet aside in a blink of an eye? Undoubtedly, it is Biryani. Be it Lucknow Biryani, Hyderabad Biryani or Calcutta Biryani; every Indian gets crazy over this one dish. Originated from the Mughal delicacy, Biryani is that one thing that has not still overshadowed by the western food culture. And you might be surprised, but Biryani is actually quite easy to cook at home as well.
Biryani can be prepared in many ways, but the easiest home version is with the help of a pot or pressure cooker. And if you have not heard about this recipe yet, the pleasure’s all mine here! Let’s start.
WHY CHICKEN BIRYANI SO FAMOUS?
Although there cannot be any specific answer to this question, I think that among all the Indian dishes, Biryani is popular because it is a complete meal in itself. It has a perfect balance of rice, meat, spices and herbs and that makes it unique. Also, another reason had to be the flavour. The taste or flavour of Biryani is so perfectly balanced, and no single ingredient overshadows another.
HOW DOES CHICKEN BIRYANI TASTE?
The subtle use of ghee with spices and the addition of raw potato are what makes the flavour of Biryani so unique. Mostly, garlic, green chilli, dalchini and coriander leaf give biryani its exotic taste and smell. Moreover, the added chicken, meat or egg contributes to its taste as well.
SPECIALTY OF THIS DISH
What makes Biryani so special to Indians? Well, it is the taste and flavour of the all the dry spices combined perfectly. The use of this combined paste gives Biryani a unique smell and taste which is hard to refuse. Also, a plate of chicken or mutton biryani is a complete meal of itself because it has all the essential nutrients such as carbohydrate, protein, vitamins etc.
THE RECIPE OF CHICKEN BIRYANI
Here, we are going to dictate the secret easiest way to make chicken biryani like a pro. But before you start, you need to prepare a special biryani masala which will add the needed flavour to your recipe. It is quite easy. Take cinnamon, pepper, cloves, fennel, nutmeg and stone flower in a mixer and mix it well. Sprinkle this fine powder while making biryani and its perfect. However, if you have ready-made biryani masala, you can skip this step.
After you are done making the masala, let’s brief out the recipe of chicken biryani here. Have a look.
- At first, take the chicken in a bowl. After that add 3 tbsp of curd, 1 tbsp of biryani masala, ginger garlic paste and ½ tsp of salt. Mix them well and marinate the chicken for an hour or more.
- Take aged Basmati rice in a bowl and wash it and soak it for 30 minutes. Drain it properly before you start cooking.
- Take a large pressure cooker (depending on the quantity). Add ghee and oil. Heat them a little. After that add all the spices such as cloves, cinnamon, stone flowers and heat them for a minute. In the third step, add the sliced onions and heat them until they turn light-brown.
- Add the marinated chicken to the cooker and sauté them for 6 minutes. Cover the chicken with a lid and cook until they are soft.
- Check the taste at this stage. If needed add curd, salt or other spices as well.
- Once you are done with the chicken, add the soaked up basmati rice to it. Add 2 cups of water or coconut milk and stir them well.
- After a minute, gently add another cup of water and sprinkle salt as needed. Level the rice properly and add pudina and fried onion on the top.
- And now the final step. Raise the flame to medium and cover the pressure cooker till 1 whistle.
How to make quick and easy chicken biryani recipe
Without the right ingredient, you cannot achieve the right flavour of a dish, isn’t it? So, here we are going to dictate the ingredients that you need to prepare the recipe of chicken biryani like a professional chef.
Step 1 – Biryani Masala Ingredients
- Nutmeg Pieces Small
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 4 Cardamoms
- 5 Cloves
- 2 inch Cinnamon Stick Small
- ½ teaspoon Stone Flower
Step 2 – Marinating of chicken
- ½ kg Chicken
- 3 teaspoons Yogurt
- ½ Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Haldi
- ½ or 1 teaspoon Red Chilli
- ½ or 1 teaspoon Biryani Masala
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
Step 3 – Dry Spices
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 Cardamoms
- 6 Cloves
- 1 and ½ inch Cinnamon Stick
- ¾ teaspoons Caraway Seeds
- 3 cups Aged Basmati Rice
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- 1 Onion sliced evenly
- ½ cup Mint
- 1 Green Chilli sliced
- 3 cups Coconut Milk or Water
- 2 teaspoons Fried Onions
How to make
How to make chicken biryani
Firstly, you have to take the chicken in a bowl and marinate it properly with the help of curd, ginger garlic paste, salt, biryani masala, chilli powder and turmeric.
Keep the marinate for 1 hour. Also, you can keep the chicken marinated for overnight.
Take aged basmati in a bowl and soak them up in water for 30 minutes. After that dry it up properly.
Take the cooker and heat ghee for 5 minutes. After that add dry spices such as bay leaf, cinnamon, stone flower, cloves and mace. Fry them up.
Add onions and fry them up to the point of light brown.
Add the marinated chicken to it and stir them. Saute them and cover them with a lid until the chicken softens.
After that add the basmati rice to it and add 3 cups of water. Add pudina and fried onion on the top of it.
Set the flame medium and leave it covered for 1 whistle.
Do not use sour curd. And if you use, it is best to skip the lemon juice part.
Use a little saffron for a yellowish touch to your chicken biryani.
SERVING AND PRESENTATION
- Open the lid of the pot and divide the chicken biryani into portions. Serve them from top to bottom in such a way that everyone gets chicken proportionately.
- For the final touch, serve a plate of chicken biryani with raita, sliced veggies, papad and shorba.
Now that you know the secret recipe of chicken biryani, you can easily please your guests with this yummy plate of heaven. And add a pudina leaf on top of your chicken biryani to give a complete shape to your recipe. Happy Serving!
And your chicken Biryani is done!